Thank you for visiting the work with us section of our site.
Current Job Openings
The Technical Director is the production liaison for all visiting companies using 59E59 Theaters, and ensures the ongoing professional operation of the facility, including safe-working practices, repairs and maintenance of technical resources and equipment within the venue. This position requires excellent organizational skills, and the ability to develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships and communications with all companies and vendors, as well as staff and board members. In compliance with our Community Agreement, The Technical Director is responsible for upholding 59E59’s mission, our dedication to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility (IDEA) in the workplace, and our commitment to be an anti-racist organization.
Reports to: Managing Director
Hours: Full-time (40 hours); some nights and weekends
Manages: 2 House Technicians
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the use of the space by visiting companies, including assisting in the preparation of their production budgets, overseeing load ins and outs, and assisting with access and use of the theater’s technical equipment.
- Advise visiting producers on the venue’s technical specifications, and usage of additional lighting, sound, and special needs required for their show.
- Assist with equipment rentals required to supplement individual productions.
- Assist some companies on getting estimates on set builds or shipping costs.
- Ensure theater companies have all necessary permits, complying with fire code, ADA requirements, egress codes, and safety concerns.
- Work with the Facilities Manager to ensure that the building and storage are kept in excellent condition.
- Keep inventory of and ensure the ongoing maintenance and upkeep of theater spaces and functionality of lighting, sound and other house systems for each theater. Troubleshoot house equipment as needed.
- Supervise two House Technicians – one FT and one PT — who are the venue’s technical representatives evenings and weekends.
- Oversee the hiring and training of a diverse roster of overhires as needed by each production, holding all staff accountable to Community Agreement and policies.
- Work with FOH staff to communicate any needs for each production which affect FOH and the audience.
- Ensure that invoices and timesheets, and/or receipts for disbursement, with respect to authorized expenditures, are promptly submitted, being proficient and efficient with all expenditures made within the budget.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
- Excellent organizational skills - keep records, plan in advance, use time efficiently.
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to hire and manage crews, ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and plots.
- Good knowledge of lighting systems, dimmer racks and lighting consoles.
- Working knowledge of audio cueing programs (Qlab), live audio systems, Clear-Com systems, projectors, basic rigging and basic carpentry.
- Understanding of New York City public assembly and fire safety rules as well as familiarity with ADA and OSHA compliance.
- Must currently possess or obtain the following FDNY certifications within 3 months of hire:
- F03 Indoor Place of Assembly Safety Personnel,
- C15 Certificate of Fitness Flame Retardant Treatment,
- S95 Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems
- S12 Supervision of Sprinkler Systems
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. and stay on your feet most of the workday.
59E59 Theaters offers a range of benefits including medical, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, Transitchecks, flexible spending accounts and a 401(k) retirement plan, paid educational and professional development opportunities.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Brian Beirne, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Technical Director in the subject line. In the cover letter, please include why this position at 59E59 interests you and how your previous experience enables you to be successful in this role.
Referrals of qualified candidates are also welcome.
59E59 Theaters is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. BIPOC applicants and candidates from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, National origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
If you would like to be added to the production crew call list, click here to email, with a cover letter and resume. In your email, please be specific as to the departments or roles that you feel you would be most qualified to fulfill.